FANUC Robotics America has introduced a new M-3iA parallel-link robot designed to maximize speed and flexibility for assembly, small part handling and picking applications.
"The M-3iA's unique design makes it possible to automate a variety of applications that could not be done with traditional SCARA-type robots," said Jessica Beltran, Product Manager, FANUC Robotics America. "We refer to our series of parallel-link robots as fists because they provide the accuracy and flexibility of a human hand."
The M-3iA robot is a larger version of the company's M-1iA delta-style robot. Available in a 4- or 6-axis model, the M-3iA offers the same unique parallel-link structure and accommodates payloads up to 6 kg. In addition, it has a large work envelope of 1,350 x 500 mm, the company said.
The M-3iA 6-axis model has a 3-axis, patent-pending wrist for complex assembly tasks. The flexibility offered by the 3-axis wrist enables the robot to pick up and insert parts at simple or compound angles and twist parts into place, similar to the flexibility offered by a manual operator.
The 4-axis M-3iA has a single-axis wrist for simple assembly and high-speed picking operations, offering speeds up to 4,000 degrees per second. In addition, a hollow wrist allows hoses and cables to be routed internally, which minimizes wear and tear on the tooling cables.
"The M-3iA is ideal for both simple and complex assembly of electronics, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, office supplies, consumer products and solar panels," said Beltran. "A completely enclosed structure also makes it safe for food environments."
The M-3iA, like all FANUC robots, operates with the company's latest controller with integrated intelligent functions such as iRVision, Force Sensing, Robot Link and Collision Guard.
The M-3iA robot offers a range of features, including:
- Patent-pending 3-axis, parallel-link wrist maximizes flexibility.
- Portable and compact size allows operation in small spaces.
- Six-axis design (3-axis wrist) enables part feeding from the sides of a work zone, increasing the useable workspace.
- Four-axis design (single-axis wrist) moves parts at extremely high speeds; a hollow wrist allows tooling cables to be routed internally, minimizing wear and tear.
- Food option with food-grade grease features a special coating to handle acid and alkaline disinfectants and low-pressure rinsing.
- Ability to work with primary (unpackaged) or secondary (packaged) food products.
- IP67 rating for the entire robot means the robot is waterproof and can withstand harsh environments, including dust and oil mist.
- Collision Guard detects robot collisions with external objects, minimizing damage to the part and robot.
- Robot Link controls and coordinates up to ten robots through a network exchange of robot positional data.
- FANUC Force Sensor is available for intricate assembly applications.
For more information contact:
FANUC Robotics America, Inc.
3900 West Hamlin Rd.
Rochester Hills, MI 48309-3253