Methods Machine Tools, Inc. has announced it is hosting an open house event called Metal Storm 2012. The event will take place June 13-14, 2012, at the company's headquarters and northeast regional technology center at 71 Union Avenue in Sudbury, MA.
Metal Storm 2012 will feature over 50 machines under power. Attendees will see live demonstrations on machines such as Matsuura 5-axis precision vertical and horizontal machining centers, Nakamura multitasking turning centers, KIWA-Japan horizontal and vertical machining centers, FEELER high performance milling and turning centers, FANUC RoboDrill 5-axis vertical machining centers, FANUC Wire EDM machines, Exeron GmbH Die Sinker EDMs, Current EDM drilling machines, a WEILER USA semi-automatic lathe, Carl Zeiss CMMs and surface/roundness checking machines and the VisionGauge Digital Optical Comparator 300 Series.
Metal Storm will highlight several FEELER models including the now available FT-Series Turning Centers, a new VTL-Series 600 mm Vertical Turning lathe and a 3-meter FV-Series double column bridge mill. Matsuura models making their northeast debut will include the new Matsuura LX-160 two-pallet, 5-axis vertical machining center featuring accuracies and reduced cycle times and the Matsuura MAM72-100H 5-Axis horizontal machining center, the largest in the MAM72 series. Matsuura's CUBLEX-25 5-axis mill-turn center, suitable for multi-process production, will also be demonstrated. Two new Nakamura models will be showcased, including the new NTY3-250 three-turret, three Y-axis machine with an all new design and NT-IPS control and the new WY-250L two-turret, two Y-axis machine with a long bed.
Five FANUC iE Wire EDM Machines will be cutting parts, including one with a hollow-style, 2-axis tilt/turn rotary table to demonstrate recast-free cutting on an aerospace part and another covering the advantages of a PCD EDGE system designed for the high demand production of flat and rotating PCD cutting tools. Exeron GmbH Die Sinker EDMs will highlight the new exopuls+ liquid cooled generator technology, a breakthrough in the spark eroding process designed to increase cutting speeds and dramatically reduce electrode wear during the roughing and finishing of cuts, resulting in more accurate parts. In addition, the new Current EDM Model RT6050-5AT EDM drilling machine featuring controller and power supply upgrades will be demonstrated burning precision angled holes for large aerospace and automotive parts.
Several pre-engineered automation solutions will also be demonstrated at Metal Storm including a multiple machine cell featuring a rail-mounted FANUC 6-Axis robot servicing a KIWA VMC, FEELER turning center, FANUC EDM and Zeiss CMM. The cell will demonstrate the automated changing of chucks on the lathe and fixtures on the mill, as well as automatic loading/unloading functions and how measurement data is sent for machine offsetting.
Attendees are also invited to participate in technical seminars conducted throughout the two-day event on today's pressing topics, including "Production on Demand." Production on Demand is defined in LEAN terminology as a "pull system," a highly automated machining cell system designed for small lot production and quick retrieval and setup of previously run jobs. Methods will show how implementing automation, new strategies and technology can increase production, minimize cost and reduce set-up time. Sessions will cover how to machine complete parts in just one set-up utilizing multitasking and five-axis machining. Methods will partner with several of their suppliers to feature short-run production techniques.
In addition, vendors of software, tooling, workholding and other accessories will also be exhibiting.
"Today's manufacturers want to see first hand how our versatile solutions for complex, small-volume, high precision jobs can work for them," said Bryon Deysher, President & CEO, Methods Machine Tools, Inc. "Unlike traditional trade shows, an open house/technology event like Metal Storm offers a more relaxed environment with ample time to review applications, machine demonstrations and the latest technology." Metal Storm typically attracts more than 1,500 people from over approximately 450 companies located throughout North America.
Metal Storm Technical Seminars List
- Automation on Demand will focus on affordable automation strategies for multi-axis machines specifically designed for the job shop environment utilizing vision, laser, RFID and bar code reading, for a complete manufacturing solution.
- Five-Axis on Demand will feature a complete impeller manufacturing strategy: programmed, posted, optimized, verified, machined and inspected in minutes.
- Ultimate Production on Demand will be presented by keynote speaker, Jim Stanko, Manufacturing Engineering Manager, Kennametal, Inc. Mr. Stanko will cover in depth how Kennametal integrated five-axis CUBLEX technology equipped with horizontal and vertical turning, along with a fully automated B-axis turn-mill, to produce thousands of different part variations in true, single-piece flow to improve efficiency/cost.
- Multi-Tasking on Demand takes turn/mill lathes to the next level with quick changeovers for small lot production in minutes.
- Extreme EDM on Demand will highlight breakthrough multi-axis EDM technologies to produce parts with virtually no recast while providing superior edge quality in aerospace, medical and PCD materials.
- Software on Demand will demonstrate true G-code simulation and optimization for both milling and multi-tasking lathe applications, which makes single block prove-out obsolete.
- Comparative Measurement on Demand will demonstrate in-process and post-process comparative measurement to reduce bottlenecks and improve throughput.
- Heat Resistant Super Alloys (HRSA) will feature strategies, tooling technologies and programming techniques for efficient machining of titanium and other HRSAs.
- Metrology and Commerce by Zeiss will cover tightening tolerances in a global market.
To see a comprehensive agenda and to register, visit www.methodsmachine.com/news-events/open-house.aspx.">www.methodsmachine.com/news-events/open-house.aspx.
For more information contact:
Methods Machine Tools, Inc.
65 Union Avenue
Sudbury, MA 01776